Friday, September 24, 2010

slowly

Mom is at my house. We have a hospital bed which really helps. My schedule revolves around her pain medicine. It seems that everyday requires more pain medicine more frequently. She's too weak now to get out of the bed and even a bed bath is exhausting.
I saw a friend from out of town yesterday that went thru the same things. He said that the one thing he wasn't prepared for was what came after his mothers death. After everything settled down, he realized that he had no parent. He broke up with his girlfriend, quit his job and felt lost. Even though she's still here, I feel lost. I'm grateful to still have her, but I feel the loss a little more everyday. There is less and less of my mothers spirit in that broken body. Maybe that's the way she needs to go. Slowly, so my brother and I...and her friends, have the time to tell her that we love her one more time and feel her love back.
She knows she's dying and it's breaking my heart.

3 comments:

  1. Even tho I know whats coming my heart is pounding and I'm just able to hold back from totally breaking down at my desk right now ...

    Her suffering is insufferable and I'm so selfish to want her to live a bit longer so I can see her one last time ... to hold her and tell her I love her so much ...


    I love you Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shelli this is Brooke that worked up in Med Surg this summer, CNA II. I have been following your blog and wanted to let you know I am thinking of you. I think that your mother is incredibly brave, as are you. No secret where you get it from. What a beautiful spirit. Take care and I am sending peaceful wishes to your sweet mother and to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Mat.....she loves you and she's waiting.
    @Brooke, thanks for your kind words. They help more than you know.

    ReplyDelete