Sunday, September 19, 2010

Hats for Bela

So my brother Matt came and spent the evening with mom yesterday. She was so happy to see him. He gave me a break to go out to dinner with Douglas and my good friends Erik and Christine in from Chicago. It was nice to get out of the house and yet I still had guilt about needing time away. In my head I know that it's a must to get a break, but in my heart I feel like I should be there for every little thing. It's a crazy mix of emotions and tough to explain.
When I returned, the pain was rearing it's head again and it took a little while to get it under control. Matt did a great job with her.
Life throws a lot at us. Lately, here on the Outer Banks, there have been too many sad stories. Isabela Rainey being one. If you hadn't heard, Isabela is my neighbor. She is 13 years old and had a malformation in her brain that no one knew about. She's had multiple brain surgeries and mom wanted to do something. Momma Flora made her 2 hats before she became too weak to crochet. She wanted to make sure that they were really soft and not too tight. She thought Fenton, her sister, might want one too so she made two. I haven't had a chance to get those hats to Bela's family.
That just shows who Momma Flora is. She had just found out that she probably had cancer and she's making hats for someone else. What a great example.


3 comments:

  1. mom had to have some coke!
    So we called Maryjane, and she acquired some contraband and brought it over much to mom's delight.

    Uhhmm... that sounds odd ... "asked Maryjane for some coke ... "

    Now shes snoozing through some NASCAR, I'm very happy to see her resting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering about a visit and what M. Flora is able to eat? Also, how you are holding up? Is there anything we can do for you? Lots of prayers and love out to both of you!
    xoxo Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pam, She would love to see you. She is very weak and not really able to eat. We've gotten beautiful homemade soups from friends but she's not able to take in much. I'm exhausted but hanging in there. I will definitely let you know what I need once I figure it out!
    Shelli

    ReplyDelete